Skip to main content

Chit Chat ; Protective Styling

Upart #FAIL
Last year around this time I had decided to do a protective style which was a sew in. I had a bad experience with it only because I was not able to maintain my real hair the way I had plan to. This year once again I plan to get another sew in. I know I had a previous horror story about the amount of shedding along with the breakage I was receiving once I had took the sew in out. But I understand what I had done wrong and this time around I'm pretty sure there will be more success *fingers cross. Instead of keeping the sew in for 3 months I'm planning to keep it in shorter, depending on how I feel my hair is doing. I originally wanted to do a upart wig which I had created but it came out wrong. My fold over method did not turn out right and for some reason I had sewn the hair on the cap wrong. I did not sew all the way to the front, causing the wig to look ridiculous lol. I also did not have enough hair to cover the entire cap. But I will definitely give it a try when I take my sew in down. I would rather do a Upart wig but my first attempt was a fail and my birthday is in just a few days so I don't want to be taking any chance.

What I plan to do when I get my sew in:
1. Create a moisturizing spirtz to keep my braids moisturized of course.
2. Use a nozzle bottle when washing my hair so I can reach my hair.
3. Use a light oil on the ends of the weave  Recently read this can cause the weave to become weigh down and greasy. Making you wash the weave more often then necessary 

Prior to getting my sew in I think I want to get half or a full inch taken off, but that is not set in stone. I do plan to do a light protein treatment to strengthen my hair, along with doing a roller set. I also want to do a black hair rinse but I think I will be doing to much to my hair. I plan to post a photo of my current length just to show where I was at the start of this year.



Comments

  1. Good luck, I'm scared of weaves for the reasons you described i.e. not being able to get to my real hair!

    Mixed Hair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I would had prefer to do a upart but that was a fail. I'm planning to keep it in for probably 6 weeks - 8 weeks max..

      Delete
  2. Practice make perfect when creating a wig. Grab a seam splitter and you can cut the tracks in less than 5 mins to try it again. I rarely do weaves. I'm a certified wig lover. LOL I'm wigging it til march once I do my length check. I think my V is about an inch away from Hip Length

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely need to practice some more and do plan to cut the tracks off the cap to redo it. Wow congrats are almost being hip length. Hopefully when I get this Upart down pack that will be my go to protective style and I'll be close to my long term goal

      Delete
  3. Another protective style is crochet braiding. I havent tried it but ive seen lots of vids on youtube. and how did the full picture of the wig come out? I had to makeshift mine out of a quakers oats box with a mold of my head make from a plastic bag and tape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seen videos on youtube as well. The process seems really complicated and long. The wig came out all wrong mainly at the top.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wash Day (7/7)

It feels good to have a clean scalp especially since I haven't washed my hair in almost two weeks! Yeah I know slacker/gross! My  hair needed a good wash and some moisture back into it. Also I just came from the beach and even though I wasn't in the water the elements could of been harsh on my hair ex.sun.  I started off with clarifying my hair since I haven't washed my hair in awhile. Needed to get rid of product build up and plus its the beginning of the month. I used my suave clarifying shampoo, I would say I do prefer the ORS aloe shampoo but I have yet to buy a full size.  I proceeded to conditioning my hair because it was very much needed. I used my L'oreal Power Moisture conditioner and saturated my hair with the product so I can detangle my hair with my fingers instead of a comb. So easy to detangle my hair with this conditioner I love it.  Followed up with my deep conditioner which is the Bee Mine D/C. I didn't wear my heating cap or leave in on for hours.

Hair Length Check In

I can not believe how far my hair has come. My hair has been in a protective for half the year, which was a sew-in. I did not have a sew in for the summer I gave my hair a break. I am currently debating if I should get another sew in for the colder months that is coming but I am not sure. My hair feels fuller & thicker. I was even asked if I had a weave in lol. Here is my current length. Am I Mid-Back length ? This picture was taken in Oct/13  Here is my current length as of Oct/14

So I Made Waist Length

I made my long term goal! I'm finally waist length. I have been on a hair journey for a very long time and through so many trial and errors I found what helped me. My growth has definitely come from protective styling. I'm either doing a sew in and if not that my hair was always in a bun. Also having a simple hair routine is key! Not only that but keeping up with my ends. I plan to get my ends lightly trimmed but the only person I trust is so far from me but very soon I will get one. I might try to do a new hair goal of hip length but honestly not sure having long hair can kind of be annoying, but I'm not complaining I love my current length.